Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's a gluten free miracle!


The Cobbler has dabbled with eating gluten free on and off for over a year.  He doesn't have a diagnosed gluten allergy or celiac disease, but he does find that he feels significantly better digestion wise when stops eating wheat.  In the past, I've tried all kinds of recipes for gluten free baked goods and pancakes and my results have been less than stellar.  In fact, sometimes the results have been just plain gross.  I recall a loaf of bread I baked last winter that was so awful we threw it outside for the birds and squirrels to eat.  In our neighborhood, the squirrels are not at all picky.  We have some of the most obese squirrels I have ever seen, and even they wouldn't touch it.  That loaf of bread sat out in the snow for about two weeks before they lowered themselves to eat it.

A couple of weeks ago I checked out 1000 Gluten Free Recipes by Carol Fenster from the library.  My expectations were pretty low, but I figured I'd give it a shot.  I decided to start with the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.  This one is similar to the one I used in the cookbook, except I used the magic ingredient "Carol's Sorghum Blend" instead of Bob's Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour.  To make "Carol's Sorghum Blend" you mix 1 1/2 cups of sorghum flour, 1 1/2 cups of potato or cornstarch (I used potato), and 1 cup of tapioca flour.  I have to say up front---the sorghum flour was very hard to find.  The health food store didn't even have it.  I finally found the elusive ingredient at a local specialty grocery store.  The cookies turned out surprisingly good.  They were more fluffy texture wise than what I'm used to, but the taste and chewiness factor were very good.  One of Red's friends helped us make them and she deemed them "really good" and took some home with her.

The real miracle happened this morning.  I decided to try her pancake recipe (I used vanilla almond milk instead of the buttermilk).  It was completely amazing.  It tasted just like a regular wheat flour pancake.  I cooked like a regular wheat flour pancake.  It looked like a regular wheat flour pancake!  And it was delicious!  The Cobbler and I called it a stunning success.

Now I'm excited.  What should I make next?  Scones?

No comments: