Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day #21 of 30 Days to a Simpler Life --- Travel Light in Style


Set up a Travel Center today.  Include travel lists, travel documents, travel accessories, frequent flyer information, travel destination files, and books on travel.  Complete instructions follow.  (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 136)

OR for serious simplifiers only...

Travel with carry-on luggage and skip the lines at the airport.  Make a drop-dead short packing list and stick to it!  Light travelers are free and independent.  (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 142)

Obviously I can't rewrite the whole chapter here, but I'll try must best to summarize.  If you want all the details, please buy the book.  The authors (in short) said the following about setting up a Travel Center:
  • Put your travel phone numbers (airlines, frequent flyer numbers, passport numbers, etc.) in one place.
  • Make permanent travel lists for what to pack, thing to do before you leave, house sitter instructions, household operations (e.g. how to run the sprinkler system, the alarm system, etc.), and medical release forms for your children for caregivers.
  • Put all your travel accessories (e.g. earplugs, eye shades, neck pillows, etc.) in one place
  • Make travel folders for frequent flyer miles and trips (i.e. upcoming trip, trips I've taken, trips I'd like to take).
  • Create an area for travel books.
The rest of the chapter is devoted to what to pack (lots of good tips here) and how to make traveling simpler (more good tips).  I think this task is going to take me a really long time.  The authors are absolutely right--- this needs to be done.  I rewrite instructions at least twice a year about how to take care of our cats for the current cat sitter.  I always am making up packing lists before trips, but never keep them for the next trip.  It's time to buckle down and make it happen!

How did everyone do with yesterday's task of being mindful during your day?  To be honest, I failed miserably.  Number one, I was very tired yesterday afternoon (not conducive to be present in the moment) because I worked out early in the morning and then took the kids back to the rec center to swim for an hour mid morning.  Number two, I had two of the bridesmaids in my sister's wedding come to my house so I could measure them for their dresses and collect their money.  All went well until I had to call my older sister to remind her to get her measurements done and mail me the dress money by next week.  We need to place the order now so we can have the dresses in time to distribute at the July bridal shower..  Sigh...it didn't go well and the messenger (me) got shot.  She's having some issues getting the money together and didn't appreciate being reminded of that fact.  It was nothing I did or said in particular.  Just very bad timing.  Again, not conducive to being in the moment and being mindful.  I just spent a lot of time and energy yesterday being upset and angry.  Double sigh...

On a good note, I finally had some success with a vegetarian recipe I tried out tonight for eggplant meatballs.  I know they sound weird, but they got three thumbs ups from me, the Cobbler, and Tom Thumb.  Red was the only thumbs down.  I think she just likes my ground turkey version too much.

See you back tomorrow!

2 comments:

find my blog said...

I have an area in the basement that has travel books in it. However, we do very little traveling to need an area devoted to travel items (i.e. earplugs, etc.).

However, I have always felt a travel "what to pack" list was a good idea. I also think a grocery shopping list that has staple items on it would be a good idea. I could just check what I needed and then print if off once a week.

Might have to get on these two ideas above. Time. Sigh.

And honestly, sometimes it doesn't matter how you sugarcoat something (with regards to news), you would have NEVER been able to share without being shot down. Good luck.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

I wish I traveled more so I could have the need for a travel center. At this point, even getting away for a few days to the homeschooling conference next week seems like a major trip and welcome respite. I did find a couple of books in my office about travel and education. Here's what I did: http://harvestmoonbyhand.blogspot.com/2011/04/30-days-to-simpler-life-week-3.html