Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day #26 of 30 Days to a Simpler Life--- Pare Down Your Garage


Your garage is not a junk bin.  It's an important base of operations, like your kitchen and home office.  Today, sort your garage items into categories---tools, paint, gardening, recreational, barbecue, and so on.  As you sort, ask yourself:
1. Do I use it---or think I should?  If not, toss it.
2. When I want to do a project, is this item ready to use?  Am I willing to keep it cleaned and repaired?  If not, toss it.
3. Do I have enough space for this and is it well located?  If not, toss it or move it.
After you have sorted and tossed, make a list of organizers that will streamline your garage.

OR for serious simplifiers only...

One month from now, go through your garage again.  Toss more ambivalent items.  Then buy organizers for tools, gardening supplies and sports equipment.  Install them immediately!  

I am in luck today.  I have absolutely nothing to do with the garage except I park the minivan in it during the winter.  I've never cleaned it, and I've never organized it.  In fact, if I tried to organize it, I'm sure the Cobbler would be perturbed.  The garage is his domain.  His man cave.  I stay away...far far away.  Believe it or not, it's actually fairly well organized.  Generally if I need something like a shovel or a rake or some rose fertilizer, I can find it.  Or if I can't find it, I make the Cobbler go find it for me. It's the perfect situation. :-)

Instead, today I have to work on things for Red's spring party that is happening this afternoon.  My friend Maureen and I planned a "Very Hungry Caterpillar" theme so we'll read the book, play a game that I'm making (yes, I'm crazy.  I will be sewing fruit shaped bean bags all morning), make a butterfly magnet craft, and eat some cupcakes and fruit kabobs that Maureen is concocting to look like the caterpillar from the Eric Carle book.  I can't wait to share photos!

No comments: