Monday, March 28, 2011

Day #13 of 30 Days to a Simpler Life --- Edit Your Projects


Day #13's task is:

Today, examine all of the projects you have not completed.  To locate them, look into files, inside drawers, in closets, and under the bed.  As they surface, make a list of things you promised yourself, or others, to do.  Divide the list into Big Projects and Small Projects.  See how many you can come up with in 30 minutes.  Then ask yourself, "Which projects can be jettisoned?  Which are a burden?  Which ones are totally unrealistic?  Which ones am I willing to start today?  Finally, drop one project from your life and box up all its paraphernalia.  You know what we are talking about --- paint sets, knitting needles, unread magazines, and plans for building a dome-shaped doghouse.  Finally, place the supplies to be recycled in the trunk of your car. (30 Days to a Simpler Life, p. 81)

OR for serious simplifiers only...

Collect all your unfinished and unstarted projects.  Next, toss your projects and the paraphernalia that goes with them.  Who knows what new interests you may discover if you free yourself of the deadweight of old business.  Remember how good it felt when you finished final exams and could throw out your notes? (30 Days to a Simpler LIfe, p. 85)

I admit it---I'm a crafting junkie.  I have two closets that have a little bit of everything crafty lurking in them.  I'm going to see what I can do in there today.  I already donated some cross stitch kits back on Day #3, and I found the infamous spare knitting needle from that day too.  I think the author's suggestion of tossing projects is not the greatest plan.  I think donating and giving away what you can is the best route so that's what I'll do.  I am making a solemn commitment right now:

I solemnly promise not to begin one more single solitary project until I complete the ones I've already started. Unless it is to be used to complete a project that I have already started, I will not buy one more piece of fabric.

Some of you might think that it's crazy that I would need to promise to not buy anymore fabric, but it is a HUGE weakness of mine.  I can't resist little delectable bits of quilting cotton.  They are so delicious.  :-)

I have three projects that are in the works right now that I want to complete:
3. The Italy scrapbook.  Yes, this trip was back in 2004, but I will finish the scrapbook this year if it kills me.

I am not going to work on ANYTHING else until I finish these projects.  Now I'm off to purge out the unfinished projects that I don't want to do.  

And for those who asked for it when I mentioned it on day #11, here is Ty in the shower from page 20 of Ty's Tricks:
And you too can own the book complete with picture for a mere $7.98 on Amazon --- ha ha!
See you on Day #14!

No comments: