Friday, March 11, 2011

Day #1 of 30 Days to a Simpler Life--- Fill A Shopping Bag


I can't tell you how many times I have checked out 30 Days to a Simpler Life from the library.  It's a small book, but there are just so many great ideas in it!  I have never actually done what it says completely or in 30 days.  I just have paged through it and thought, "Oh, I should do that!" and never do.  So I've decided---as  my Lenten commitment (versus giving something up) I am going to literally do 30 days to a simpler life and see where I land at the end.  And you get the privilege of hearing all about it --- ha ha!

Day 1 is "Fill a Shopping Bag".  My mission (and yours if you choose to join me in this challenge) is this:

Today, gather up a bagful of things you no longer love and use.  First, find a shopping bag, trash bag, or cardboard box.  Next, fill it with giveaways or throwaways from around your house.  Gather unwanted stuff from anywhere in your home or garage.  Look under sinks, in closets, into drawers, and under the bed.  No space is off limits.  Finally, put the stuff into your car's trunk to be recycled.  This task could take 5 minutes to an hour, depending on how decisive you are.  Fill as many bags as you can in one hour (30 Days to a Simpler Life, page 11)

OR...if you are hardcore---

If your are really serious about simplifying your life, take a giant step today and fill ten---not one---shopping bags with unused, unloved things from around your house.  Immediately afterward, drop those bags off at a thrift shop. (30 Days to a Simpler Life, page 14)

My plan is to start working on Day #1's mission this afternoon.  I found some baby stuff that I forgot to donate to the crisis pregnancy center that needs to go (hello baby bath tub!).  I'll see you tomorrow with my Day #1 update and with my Day #2 mission.  

NOTE: After tomorrow's post, I'll be posting missions Monday through Friday.  The 30 days will end on Wednesday, April 20th (the day before Maundy Thursday).

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

SnowWhite said...

Done! I am going to try this with you- I'll see how far I get.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Great idea! I'll have to check out that book from the library as well. Just brought 4 bags of clothes to the secondhand shop on Thursday. I blogged about it here:

http://harvestmoonbyhand.blogspot.com/2011/03/project-simplify-wardrobe-and-closet.html

I'm going to follow along on your project as well because I'd like to go into spring/summer with a much simpler life!

Eddie said...

Thanks to your nudge, I got off my duff and unloaded a full garbage bag, plus a plastic grocery bag, into the local donations bin this afternoon! Thanks!

Gina said...

I'm so glad to have stumble onto your blog. I'm planning on doing the same thing again this year. I'll be checking back for inspiration and motivation. Thanks!