Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Caterpillars: Days 6 and 7

The caterpillars are getting bigger and bigger by the minute it seems!  Here are some photos from days 6 and 7:

And just for point of reference, here's how big they were on the day we received them on day #1:
Amazing and crazy, right?

We've had an interesting week.  Red had a second hearing test at school this week that I attended and they determined she has some hearing loss in her left ear.  She can't hear mid to high frequency sounds in that ear.  I was pretty stunned when I was standing across the room from her during the test and could hear the beep in her ear and she could not.  They recommended a full clinical testing with an audiologist this summer to determine the extent of the loss.  The good news is that she seems to be compensating just fine with her right ear.  Her teacher told me she has never noticed an issue and quite frankly other than her being loud sometimes (which I assume is just being a 5 year old) and the occasional "What?" when we're talking I've never noticed anything that would make me think she was having trouble hearing either.  We may never know what caused it.  It could have been a high fever (she's had quite a few of those), a head injury (she's had a couple of those that have landed her in the ER), a loud noise (the Cobbler says when she was a baby he once stood too close with her to a train when its whistle was blown at a local museum.  I told him not to worry about it), or genetics (if hearing loss runs in your family, you're more likely to have it.  My youngest sister has some partial loss in one ear).  It's one of those situations where there's nothing we can do at this point other than get more information and deal with it.  So that's what we'll do...

I've also been coping with some anxiety.  It seems like I have the jitters for most of my waking hours.  I'm hoping that it's just from all the commitments I've had over the last couple of months and I'm trying to calm down.  Lots of deep breathing.  I'm going to eliminate caffeine and alcohol today and see if that helps.  Not like I'm a big drinker of either (1-2 cups of coffee per day and maybe one drink in the evening), but at this point I'm willing to try anything to get some peace.

Today's the last day of school for the week.  I'm looking forward to a nice Memorial Day weekend at home.
What are you up to this weekend?

1 comment:

Carri said...

I am so glad they found it. With P I practically had to beg to get a hearing test, kids are amazing at what they can do to fool us into thinking things are fine. Let me know how things go.