Sunday, March 21, 2010

2010-2011 Read Alouds

I feel like I've been working on this Read Aloud list FOREVER!  I started two years ago using the Ambleside Online Year 0 Book List.  I printed it as an Excel spreadsheet and started bringing it with me to the library every week.  Red would pick a few books and then I would pick a few books from the list.  She actually ended up liking many of the books on the list.  Even some that I didn't expect.  I really didn't think Robert McCloskey's Time of Wonder was going to be a big hit (especially based on my initial look at the illustrations) but amazingly she loved it. 

My Read Aloud plans for this year include working our way through the rest of the Ambleside Online Year 0 List (based on what our library has available), and combining that with the read alouds scheduled in the Sonlight K curriculum and the Hillsdale Academy kindergarten curriculum.  We're also going to include daily Bible episodic readings and poetry from The Real Mother Goose.  I'm going to list them below and then later update this post as we complete them.  I'll also give a review of what we thought.  Aahhhh, this makes me wish I had done this so much sooner.  We have read so many great books over the last couple of years that I wish more folks would read!  Right now, we're reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books.  We read Little House in the Big Woods last year.  We tried reading Farmer Boy, but she just didn't care for it.  I think it might have been because it was about a boy and not a girl.  We didn't even make it half way through it.  We're nearly done with Little House on the Prairie so she's all ready to check out On the Banks of Plum Creek from the library since it's the only one of the books that we don't already own.  So over the summer, I think we'll probably finish the whole series if she wants to.  If she's bored with something, I don't insist that we press on so we'll have to see.  I might dip into the list before September if that happens.  I'm making the read alouds a separate page entry at the top of the page.  It might take me a few days to get all the books listed so please bear with me :-)

No comments: